Thursday, December 20, 2012

It's The End Of The World As We Know It


Or is it? It’s really up to you. According to Mayan prophesy tomorrow is the last day of the world. I would like to follow that with .......As We Know It, borrowing from the song title of one of my favorite bands, R.E.M. I am guessing tomorrow will look like any other day -  on the surface. But it can be your greatest opportunity to leave behind  what you know no longer serves your highest and most marvelous self. It can be the end of the negative self-talk, self-judgment and conditioning, that keeps you from listening to, and living from, your heart. Really? Yes! And there is not a magic wand in sight.

How do we do this?  It takes effort, and a commitment from us, to turn our backs on our old ways of thinking and open up to a bigger consciousness and love energy that is breaking through - from inside. You can start by simply noticing what you are thinking. Energy follows thought. Interrupt your thoughts  with a breath (infuse it  with warmth and kindness towards yourself), and then see how long you can follow your breath, before your thoughts start bullying their way back in again. Don’t be hard on yourself, if it’s not too long! It takes practice and practice simply means noticing. Psychologists reckon we can hold a thought for about three seconds, before we start thinking about what we are thinking about, and run on to the next thought and the next one and so and so on. A phenomenon often referred to as monkey mind. Sound familiar? You can help break that old cycle, by taking a stand against your habitual way of thinking, getting curious about what you don’t know, and opening to the possibility that life is a lot bigger than anything you could ever figure out, in your head. 

 As we approach the Winter Solstice, the sun will be at its lowest point in the sky, and it will be the darkest day of the year. An incredible day to turn inside and listen to the whisperings of your heart and soul, with your breath leading the way - instead of your thoughts. This is a visionary time. I invite you to use it well. Set aside some part of the day and reflect on what ideas, attitudes, memories, actions, environments and people you may need to be let go of, so you can shine into the world  - like you were born to. What old patterns need to end in your life, so you can make room for a new beginning based on LOVE? What do you want the next part of your life to look like? It starts with learning how to embrace yourself with compassion, opening your heart, and being willing not to know what is next - trusting that LOVE is behind it all. I implore you to be patient and kind with yourself during this rapid time of change, and the shocking transformation, that can take place internally first, if you are willing. Change can be scary, and when we start feeling uncomfortable our initial reaction can be to rush back to what we do know - even though it is limiting. Use the energies of this sacred solstice time to propel you forward into the yet to be discovered horizons of your heart and soul. Resist the temptation to know so much. It can be the beginning of a whole new life - as your true self. 

I would like to share with you a brief excerpt from my book, Third Time Lucky: A Creative Recovery around this subject of endings and beginnings. (It’s due out in February 2013!)

Here is a sneak preview of the cover:



“It’s cancer. I am sorry.” 
He said it so fast. I didn’t cry—there would be plenty of time for that later. I just looked at the three of them in disbelief. How could he tell me that when I finally had a new plan? I let out a sigh that felt like it had been trapped forever. “What does that mean now?” I asked, digging my nails into my sweaty fists, so afraid of what he would say next. Would I die this time?
He said it meant I had to have surgery right away to remove my right breast completely. There was no room for protest. They would give me the strongest and meanest chemotherapy they could this time—no more pretending it was okay. This cancer was obviously aggressive, and that’s how they were going to treat it. They would call me on Monday and schedule more tests to determine if it had spread. The consultation was over. This time, my question changed from, “How quickly can I get back to normal?” to “How long do I have to live?” 
When I left the hospital, I went directly back to my apartment and pushed track number three on the stereo again. “It’s the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)” blared out from the speakers, filling the room, but I didn’t jump around as I normally did when I heard that song. Instead, I sat on the floor, still in my suit, and looked down at my perfectly balanced breasts. The world as I knew it ended that day, and strangely, I did feel fine. I silently promised myself that there would be no going back to normal. I figured normal wasn’t so great anyway, since it had brought me to a third diagnosis of cancer.
I knew life had to be different. There would be no more warnings. I had to pay attention 
and start listening to my body, my dreams, and my soul. However, I had no idea how to 
do that. 

I am excited to share more of this story with you, and invite you into the relationship of untying the knots that keep you stuck in your own story. 

In the meantime, stay tuned to your heart, and trust in LOVE. You are worth it.....

Solstice Blessings to YOU!
Love,
Pasha

p.s. Check out  R.E.M to help celebrate! 

No comments:

Post a Comment